Friday, January 14, 2011

Surprise Mayo.

To me, there is not a lot that could ruin a meal more than surprise mayo. Over the years, people have accused me of being anti-condiment, particularly when it come to sandwiches which is completely unjustified. What I don't like is mayonnaise. Especially when I am unprepared.


Just looking at the image makes me queasy.

Yesterday, I had lunch with a friend at the local cafe to my workplace. A great little place which does a mean bircher muesli of a morning. After perusing the extensive menu, I decided on the open steak sandwich.
The menu was nice and descriptive, outlining the contents of my meal to come "fillet steak, tomato relish, onion marmalade, fresh tomato and rocket served with fries". Sounded delicious.


It arrived, looking every bit as delicious as it sounds but unfortunately it was drenched (top and bottom) with garlic mayonnaise. I was gutted.

Panic stricken, thinking I had overlooked it on the menu I asked the waitress to bring the menu back to me so I could check. Nope, not there. The chef had indeed added some surprise mayo - perhaps for flair.

The delightful lady, kindly pointed this out to the chef and they made me a fresh one mayo-free as promised (although he was not too pleased). All was well at lunch but it had been a near miss.

A word of advice to cafes everywhere - if you are going to outline all the ingredients on a sandwich - please make sure it is all the ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment