Friday, January 21, 2011

No excuse for bad manners.

There is a great little organic shop downstairs from my office that I frequently visit for delcious breakfast and lunch. In the mornings they have a pick and mix style breakfast bar where you can choose the fruit, museli and yoghurt from a range of options and design your own meal. At lunch they have soups, salads, fresh rice paper rolls and a juice bar.


It is run by a delightful Chinese couple and Margaret and her team are always friendly and happy to serve.

I am astounded by the number of people walk up to the front of the counter and say "I'll have the chicken." then just hold their money and turn their face away. If you are ordering a soup or rice paper roll there are often questions as to whether you want bread, sauce, pepper and these go ignored.

I'm sorry you'll have what? Was that a please I heard in there? No? You don't want to answer whether you want pepper? Ok just take your salad and walk away never mind about saying thank you.

It is just plain rude.


It really isn't that hard and there are lots of ways you can mix it up so you don't get bored...

I'd like to have the chicken please.
Please may I have the chicken?
Or my favourite, May I please have the chicken?

As they say, Civility costs nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment